Welcome!

The purpose of this blog is to share insights into educational issues affecting Jerome Middle School. These could be new teaching strategies; new ways of grading; new ways of holding students accountable; new ways of getting students involved in their learning; or even new ways of getting parents more involved in the events at school. I hope that these posts will help answer some questions about happenings at JMS!

Monday, December 6, 2010

“Donuts and Discussion” to begin monthly at JMS

As part of my involvement with the "Connected Principals" group (a collaboration between principals from around the globe), I have been able to participate in three Live Elluminate sessions - two in which I was fortunate enough to be one of the speakers.

The October session dealt with Parental Involvement - getting parents more involved in the learning process of their children. One of the ideas that I gleaned from the session was having informal meetings open to any parent that would like to attend. One of my goals for the year is increasing parent activities at Jerome Middle School. It was during this session, and then at a School Improvement Team meeting that "Donuts and Discussion" was hatched.

So, the first monthly open meeting for parents entitled “Donuts and Discussion” will be held Thursday, December 9 at 8:15 – 9:00. The purpose of these monthly meetings is to invite parents to come and discuss programs at JMS. The agenda will be “open” so that parents have the opportunity to have conversation with JMS administration. We look forward to spending time with parents sharing successes, goals, concerns, and plans for students at JMS.

I plan to write an additional post after our first meeting to reflect. Thanks to all my colleagues at "Connected Principals" that inspired me to move forward with ACTION towards getting parents more involved.

1 comment:

  1. I am putting together a list of the top 100 administrator blogs, and I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions about you and your blog to include more information in my article. Please e-mail me (alexisbrett@gmail.com) and include the title of your blog in the e-mail, thanks!

    ReplyDelete